1. Choose a goal that will stretch you bit!
- A loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week is healthy and attainable.
2. What tools do I need to get started?
- Begin educating yourself! Learn what the different components of food are (carbohydrates, protein, fat) and how your body uses them
- Write everything down! Track each meal, EVERY DAY! Track your fluid intake! You can’t make changes unless you know what needs changing. I recommend the “My Fitness Pal” smart phone app (also available free online).
- Find an accountability partner. Having someone waiting to meet you for a workout or cardio will keep you from letting it slide
- ***OPTIONAL*** Make an appointment for a Metabolic Test or Bod Pod®️. These tests will give you your specific caloric intake needed to lose weight as well as for your maintenance once you’ve reached your goal. This test is specific to only YOUR body. This test is free for military members at the base wellness center. Colorado Springs location: http://ihwcwellness.com
- Schedule your workout/cardio time as if it were a doctor’s appointment. It needs to be as important as brushing your teeth every day!!
3. Who I will share my SPECIFIC goal with:
- If you don’t share your goal with anyone, then it’s extremely easy to slip, to cheat, to skip the gym…..or even quit! When I say I want you to find 10 different people to share your goal with, I MEAN IT!!!
- There should be one person on your list that would love to see you fail, or who might try to sabotage your efforts – even if it’s not in a malicious manner. This is the person(s) who you are going to prove wrong! You are not going to give them the satisfaction of not reaching your goal!
- The other people on your list should be those who will encourage and cheer you on, as well as admonish and hold you accountable in all areas…..at work, home, at a restaurant, at the gym, on vacation, etc.
4. What obstacles might hinder my progress?
- Life isn’t going to stop because you set a goal. In fact, life will usually be the most hectic just as you get started. There is no such thing as the “perfect time”….only NOW! Try and list every possible roadblock that could happen in the next 3 months
- TDY, Deployment, shift change, retirement
- Illness, weather, car trouble
- Babysitter issues, kids schedules
- Vacations, visitors, special occasions
- BE SPECIFIC!!
5. What will I do to overcome them?
- So knowing what curveballs are coming at you allows you to DUCK! If you know there’s a stau on A-6, you’re not purposely going to drive straight into it are you? You’ll most likely already have an alternate route in mind and avoid the delay.
- Expect the unexpected! What tools will you use to make sure your goal remains your priority even when it gets tough
- BE SPECIFIC!!!
6. What 3 habits will I challenge myself to avoid?
- Know yourself…….and don’t kid yourself. You know your weak spots and you also know your habits. What habits are going to severely hinder your progress?
- How are you going to avoid them? What’s your plan?
- BE SPECIFIC!!! (notice a trend here?)
7. What 3 NEW habits will I challenge myself to implement
- What changes need to be made to your daily routine (even on the weekends!) that will dramatically aide in your success?
- How are you going to ensure this happens all the time?
- You got it!…..BE SPECIFIC!!
8. How would you like to be encouraged & motivated during the next 12 weeks?
- I WILL help you out in any way I can! I WILL NOT accept excuses, nor will I “coddle” anyone. I will, however, provide you with any tool in my arsenal, continuously check your progress, answer any questions you might have and help educate you in any area you feel you are lacking.
9. How would you like to be held accountable and set back on track during these next 12 weeks?
- Things are going to happen…..we’re human! And don’t expect perfection in this journey! However, when you “fall off the wagon” get right back on it that minute!! Don’t wait until the infamous Monday, or next week….. Right that minute! You messed up. So what. You’re back on track now.
- Be honest with me. I can’t help you if I don’t know where you’re struggling.
- Be honest with your accountability list (#3). Same thing! That’s what it’s designed for.
- Don’t punish yourself for a slip up……suck it up and move on.
Before you sign the statement at the bottom of your worksheet, I want you to honestly evaluate yourself.
Are you truly going to give 100%? This is a personal challenge. You’ll only get out of it what you put into it. How motivated and willing to challenge yourself are you? Only you can achieve your goal! What you “want” and what we’re actually willing to “do” (and sacrifice) are sometimes two very different things. Everyone has the potential to accomplish amazing things with their health and fitness. But not everyone has the motivation and/or dedication. Are you ready for the next amazing 12 weeks?!