Basil-Steamed Halibut with Lemon Crème Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs white fish bones
- 2 medium carrots pealed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 2 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tbs butter unsalted
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt divided
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves about 1 oz.
- 4 6oz. halibut fillets skinned
- torn fresh basil leaves optional
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; add 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl, reserving stock. Discard solids.
- Pour 1/4 cup stock into a small saucepan (set remaining stock aside); bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes or until stock is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Reduce heat to low. Combine crème fraîche, juice, and egg yolk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Slowly pour egg mixture into reduced stock, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; stir in butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Pour remaining stock into a large skillet; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Line a vegetable steamer with 1 bunch basil leaves; arrange fillets in a single layer over basil.
- Place steamer in skillet; cover and steam fillets 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Carefully remove steamer from skillet. Sprinkle fillets with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve with sauce. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.
Calories: 290kcalCarbohydrates: 0.5gProtein: 37gFat: 14gSodium: 387mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!