Beef and Guinness Stew
- 3 tbs canola oil divided
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 2 lbs boneless chuck roast trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tsp sea salt divided
- 5 cups onion powder chopped
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 4 cups fat free low sodium beef broth
- 1 bottle Guinness Stout 11.2oz
- 1 tbs raisins
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diagonal sliced carrots 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups diagonal slices parsnips 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup peeled turnip cubed
- 2 tbs flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt; dredge beef in flour. Add half of beef to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and beef.
- Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in broth and beer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return meat to pan.
- tir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, raisins, caraway seeds, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and bring to a boil. Cook 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrot, parsnip, and turnip. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and bring to a boil; cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Calories: 365kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 25gFat: 19gFiber: 4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!