Beef with Spicy Cocoa Gravy
- 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 lbs top round steak trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes undrained and organic
- 2 cups fat free less sodium beef broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- fresh oregano optional
- Combine unsweetened cocoa and next 7 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a large bowl. Add beef; toss to coat.
- Remove beef from bowl. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Add flour to cocoa mixture; stir with a whisk. Return beef to bowl; toss to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture to pan; sauté 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Remove beef from pan. Add onion and green bell pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add red wine and tomatoes; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth, salt, and black pepper; return meat to pan.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 10 minutes or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish each serving with fresh oregano, if desired.
Calories: 263kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 30gFat: 8gSodium: 731mgFiber: 2g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!