Black-Eyed Peas with Pork & Greens
- 1 pound boneless pork chops trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 TBSP canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 8 cups roughly chopped kale leaves (about 1 small bunch) tough stems removed, or one bag frozen
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth TBSP
- 2 TBSP cider viegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
- Toss pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the pork and cook, stirring, until just cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add onion, tomato paste and rice to the pan and cook until the onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add kale and garlic and cook until the kale begins to wilt, 1-2 minutes. Stir in broth, vinegar, paprika and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the rice is done, 15-20 minutes. Stir in the reserved pork and black-eyed peas and heat for 1 minute.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!