The simplicity of this dish is that it bakes in one pan and is a great use of any leftover chicken or turkey you may have. When coupled with pasta, this classic dish is truly a creamy and comforting dinner solution. A great thing about this recipe is that is involves enough ingredients to make two casseroles—one for now and one for later.
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter
- cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cans fat free low sodium chicken broth (14.5 ounce cans)
- 2 1/4 cups grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cream cheese
- 12 oz vermicelli cooked according to package directions
- 24 oz chicken breasts cooked and chopped
- 2 tbs Panko whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, black pepper, salt, and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add sherry; cook 1 minute.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Gradually add flour to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly (mixture will be thick) with a whisk. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 ¾ cups Parmesan cheese and cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until cream cheese melts. Add pasta and chicken; stir until blended. Divide pasta mixture between 2 (8-inch-square) glass or ceramic baking dishes coated with cooking spray.
- Place bread in food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form. Combine breadcrumbs and ½ cup Parmesan cheese; sprinkle evenly over pasta.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Remove casserole from oven; let stand 15 minutes.
- To freeze unbaked casserole: Prepare through Step Cool completely in refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
- To prepare frozen unbaked casserole: Thaw casserole completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 350°. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover casserole with reserved foil; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 1 hour or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes.
Calories: 331kcalCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 29gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6.5gSodium: 679mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!