Creamy Seafood Chowder
- 1 large head of cauliflower coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- liquid from scallop, shrimped, and clams
- 1/2 lb mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 lb orange bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb frozen cooked shrimp thawed
- 3/4 lb frozen bay scallops thawed
- 1 can baby yellow clams drained (hold on to liquid)
- fresh nutmeg
- star anise
- lime zest use lime juice to garnish
- Thaw the shrimp and bay scallops overnight in the refrigerator; make sure to collect the liquid that will drain from the seafood as it thaws. (Place them in a colander or sieve sitting over a bowl). You can squeeze them gently once they are completely thawed.
- Add cauliflower, water, chicken stock, liquid from shrimp, scallop and yellow clams to a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and cook until the cauliflower is really soft and tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden on both sides. Lower the heat, add onion, bell peppers, salt and pepper and continue cooking until fragrant and onions start to turn translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Reserve.
- Ladle the cauliflower mixture into your blender and process on high speed until super smooth and silky in consistency. You might have to work in several batches.
- Return that soup base to the stockpot and add the nutmeg, star anise, shrimp, bay scallops, baby clams and reserved vegetables. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the bay scallops start to lose their translucency and the shrimp are heated through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately and hit with a splash of lime juice. Garnish with a little bit lime zest.
Calories: 239kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 39gFat: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!