Crockpot Quinoa Chicken Primavera
In the crockpot
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 7 cups chicken broth divided
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus cut into bite size pieces
- 6 oz pesto
- 2 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese
- Rinse the quinoa. Cut the chicken if you want - you can either cut it into small pieces (it will cook faster) or leave it whole and shred it after cooking.
- Place the quinoa, chicken, 4 cups broth, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and seasonings in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- When the quinoa and chicken are done, the mixture should be very thick and sticky. Add the remaining broth or water 1 cup at a time and stir to combine until the mixture resembles a creamy risotto or casserole. Stir in the pesto, peas, and lemon juice and cover to heat through. While the peas are heating in the crockpot, heat the oil in a skillet - add the asparagus and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until the asparagus is lightly browned and tender-crisp. Add the asparagus back to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Top each serving with bacon bits, fresh herbs, shredded cheese, watercress, olive oil, or anything else you want.
Calories: 314kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 25gFat: 9gSodium: 362mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!