Curried Chicken Soup
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 lb sweet potato peeled and large diced
- 1 lb butternut squash peeled and cut into large dice
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbs grated garlic
- 1 tbs minced thyme
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 14 oz can of fire roasted diced tomato
- 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- cooked whole chicken
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar more to taste
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds garnish
- Warm coconut oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil has melted, add the sliced onion and season with a pinch of salt. Cook until translucent (about 4 minutes).
- Add the sweet potato and squash, season with a couple of pinches of kosher salt and several turns of black pepper, and stir to combine.
- Cook until the sweet potato and squash soften (about 6 to 7 minutes), stirring occasionally to keep the onions from burning.
- Add the curry powder, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, thyme, and Worcestershire, stirring to combine. Cook until very fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Stir in chicken stock, fire-roasted tomatoes with juices and coconut. Bring mixture to a boil, then add chicken meat, almond butter, and a few pinches of salt.
- Return the mixture to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in red wine vinegar, cilantro and green onions. Cook for 2 minutes, then season to taste with additional kosher salt and red wine vinegar.
- o serve, spoon the soup in a bowl (preferably something decorative) and top with toasted almonds and reserved scallion greens.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!