Egg and Hash Brown Casserole
This dish is like enjoying an omelet stuffed with spinach, Swiss cheese, and mushrooms, with hearty sides of bacon and hash browns, all in one package.
- 8 center-cut bacon slices
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 8 ounces sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 3 garlic minced
- 2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)
- 1/4 cup cup no-salt-added chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tbps thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, finely chopped
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 6 large lightly beaten eggs
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic to drippings in pan; sauté for 6 minutes. Add potatoes and stock; cook 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add spinach, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon and cheese. Place mushroom mixture in an 11 x 7-inch broiler-safe glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dish. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, milk, and eggs in a medium bowl. Pour egg mixture over mushroom mixture. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high; remove dish while broiler preheats. Broil 3 minutes or until top is browned and just set. Let stand 5 minutes.
Calories: 256kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 21gFat: 10gSodium: 464mgFiber: 2g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!