Green Eggs and Ham Recipe with Home Fries
- cooking spray
- 12 silicon muffin liners
- 10 oz frozen spinach thawed
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- 8 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 16 oz extra lean, low sodium cooked ham cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 red baby potatoes cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 325° F and place the rack in the middle position. Boil 2 quarts of water in a kettle. Grease the insides of the muffin liners with oil and arrange them on a rimmed baking pan.
- Squeeze excess water out of the spinach and put it in a food processor or blender along with the eggs, egg whites, cheese, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Pulse until mixture is an even green color with bits of spinach, about 30 seconds. Fill the muffin liners almost to the tops with the egg mixture.
- Place the baking pan on the middle oven rack and carefully pour the boiled water into the pan. Bake until firm in the centers, about 20-25 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in a microwave-safe dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave at HIGH for 5 minutes. Uncover and cool slightly.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray and add onions; sauté for 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add ham and bell pepper; cook until ham is browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the ham mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe the skillet clean and return heat to medium-high. Add olive oil, swirl to coat and add potatoes, cut-side down. Cook for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Turn potatoes over. Cook for 6 minutes without stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in ham mixture until warmed up, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer muffin liners to a cooling rack to set for 5 minutes.
- Serve two muffins with a cup of home fries.
Calories: 340kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 38gFat: 15gFiber: 5gSugar: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!