Healthy Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- 1 lb small shrimp peeled and deveined
- 8 oz smoked sausage cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 stalks celery finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbs creole seasoning
- 3 cups okra
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- Thaw shrimp in fridge overnight, or place bag in lukewarm water for an hour until thawed through.
- Brown the sausage in the bottom of a large saucepan or soup pot with oil and onions over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir to coat evenly.
- Add broth, celery, garlic, bell pepper, tomato paste, Worcestershire, bay leaves, and Creole seasoning (like Tony Chachere's). Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add okra and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add shrimp with juice from bag and simmer briskly for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot over rice and garnish with green onions. (Note: rice is not included in nutrition information_
Calories: 276kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 19gFat: 14g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!