Hokkaido Pumpkin Soup
- 1 medium Hokkaido pumpkin
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat free evaporated milk
- Wash the squash, scoop out seeds and cut into 1" chunks. (this is not easy as Hokkiado is a very hard squash-- use a good knife!)
- Dice the onions coarsely. Sauté in squash and onions in butter over high heat until onions start to wilt. Turn heat to medium and keep cooking, stirring occasionally, until squash begins to break up. Add seasonings and stir well.
- Pour in chicken broth to cover, stir well, bring to a boil and let simmer for another 10 minutes or so.
- Pureé the soup with a hand mixer or in the blender. Return to pot, stir in evaporated milk until well blended and serve hot!
- Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds and fresh sage leaves if desired
Calories: 206kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 7gFat: 8gSodium: 49mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!