Holiday Ham with Riesling and Mustard
- 16 pounds ham whole cured, smoked, bone-in
- 2 cups riesling sweet, Auslese, divided
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shallots finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup whole grain mustard
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Arrange a rack in lowest level of oven; preheat to 300°F. Leaving fat intact, remove outer rind from most of ham, leaving a band around the end of the shank bone. Score fat crosswise (do not cut into meat) on top of ham with parallel cuts spaced 1/2" apart. Place ham in a large roasting pan. Boil 1 cup Riesling and 7 cups water in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Pour into bottom of roasting pan. Bake ham, basting with pan juices occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of ham registers 110°F, 2 1/2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and thyme sprigs; cook, stirring often, until shallots are very soft, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat; stir in the remaining 1 cup Riesling. Return to stove. Increase heat to medium-high, bring to a simmer, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 8 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs and transfer mixture to a food processor. Add thyme leaves, mustard, honey, pepper, and salt. Process until well blended.
- Remove pan from oven and increase heat to 350°F. Using a pastry brush, spread Riesling mixture over ham. Return pan to oven and bake ham, tenting with foil if browning too quickly, until internal temperature registers 135°F and crust is golden brown, 15-30 minutes.
- Transfer ham to a large platter. Let rest for 30 minutes before carving. Skim fat from pan juices, reheat, and pour juices into a medium pitcher; serve alongside.
Sodium: 4280mgCholesterol: 81mgCalories: 493kcalSaturated Fat: 9gFat: 14gProtein: 51gCarbohydrates: 19g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!