Indonesian Beef Curry with Coconut Rice
- 1 1/2 pounds lean top round thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 TBSP canola oil
- 1/2 cup shallots thinly sliced
- 2 TBSP fresh ginger peeled & minced
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chiles thinly sliced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pods cardamom crushed
- 1 stick cinnamon 3 inches
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- To prepare curry, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Place half of the beef in skillet; cook 1 minute on each side or until browned. Remove the beef from pan. Keep warm. Repeat process with the remaining beef.
- Lower heat to medium; add oil to pan. Add shallots, ginger, garlic, and chiles; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in coriander and next 6 ingredients (through cinnamon); cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Return beef to pan. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until beef is tender. Uncover and cook 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Discard cinnamon stick; stir in juice.
- To prepare rice, bring 1 1/4 cups water and remaining ingredients to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Place 2/3 cup rice onto each of 6 plates; top each serving with 1/2 cup curry.
Calories: 280kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 28gFat: 9gSodium: 536mgFiber: 1g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!