Tomato Basil Soup with Ricotta Dumplings
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Mince 4 cloves garlic. Chop ½ cup basil leaves.
- In a large pot, add 2 teaspoons olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and one pinch red pepper flakes; sauté about 1 minute, until just starting to brown. Add canned tomatoes and their liquid, 3 cups vegetable broth, chopped basil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 2 eggs whites, 2/3 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper. Stir until a dough forms. Roll the dumplings into small balls (about 24). After the soup has simmered, place the dumplings in the soup and cook about 2 minutes until cooked through.
- Thinly slice (chiffonade) a few extra basil leaves, and grate some Parmesan cheese. Serve the soup warm garnished with basil and Parmesan.
Calories: 168kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 9gFat: 5gSodium: 1085mgFiber: 5gSugar: 7g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!