Creamy One Pot Pasta
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 7oz Jar sun-dried tomatoes in oil undrained
- 3 14.5 oz cans vegetable broth (about 5 1/4 cups)
- 1 lb Penne pasta uncooked
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots peeled
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- grated parmesan cheese optional
Place garlic and 1 tbsp oil from sun-dried tomatoes into an 8 quart stockpot; cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until garlic is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add broth. Return Stockpot to burner; increase heat to high. Cover and bring to a boil. Add pasta; cover and simmer vigorously 8-9 minutes or until pasta is almost cooked but still firm, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cut broccoli into small florets. Cut carrots in half lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise on a bias. Drain tomatoes; pat dry and slice into thin strips.
Cut cream cheese into cubes. Add vegetables, cream cheese, black pepper and salt to pasta; stir until cream cheese is melted and fully incorporated. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook an additional 2-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. If desired, top with Parmesan cheese and basil. (If desired, 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes can be substituted for the sun-dried tomatoes.)
To change up the flavor of this recipe, try some of the following variations!
Note: For a heartier version of this recipe, add grilled turkey, Italian sausage or sliced grilled chicken breasts to pasta.
- Use a variety of different vegetables
- Add in fresh herbs such as tarragon, rosemary, or cilantro
- Try adding different seasonings such as curry, southwestern or cumin
Calories: 246kcalCarbohydrates: 40gProtein: 9gFat: 6gSodium: 654mgFiber: 3g